DaisypathNext Anniversary Ticker

Monday, March 06, 2006

KL Marathon 06


KL Marathon 06

Date: 5th March 06
Distance: 42.195km
Time: 5am
Venue: KL Dataran Merdeka


It is time for me to visit the venue of my first Marathon. I have a great time last time, an unforgetful event. Hopefully I can relive the same experience again. Image hosting by Photobucket

Pre Marathon

I intent to wake up at 3:30am and leave the room at 4:00am to meet the rest of the sgrunnres at the lobby. At about 1am, pheck leng phone rang, someone in spore called her(don’t know who) and woke myself up. Damn it Image hosting by Photobucket after that I have difficulties sleeping again. Image hosting by Photobucket Ended up I decided to woke up around 3:17am and start preparing for the event.

Last year i went to the starting line from Ancasa Hotel alone, this year I have a bunch of runners joining me to make the journey. Image hosting by Photobucket It was a short walk about 10mins to the event. Saw a lot of familiar faces – Runwithme, mythos, Jennifery, Commando, sumiko, Imd, KL Penguins & other Singapore runners.

DO and myself went back to the same location(the fringe of the river at the edge of the stadium) to release the last minutes tension building up. What to do when the queue for the loo is damn long. Image hosting by Photobucket

Once we entered into the tray to line up, it was announced there are about 1k of us doing the full marathon. Figures seem to be similar or even smaller than last year. I do not know why? Normally it should be getting bigger and better. I didn’t catch up with the rest of the sgrunners Image hosting by Photobucket from there onwards, I am on my own. I need a small space for myself and refocus my attention to the event.

Start of KL Marathon 06 (0 to 5km)

At exactly 5am, the minister flag off the race. Unlike last year when the struck of the bell from the tower is the signal. This year was done with less fanfare. The year before, I am informed we are treated to fireworks! Why is there a progressive backward? Image hosting by Photobucket It took me about 40 secs to reach the starting line.

It was a humid early morning as I slowly moving along with the crowd. I couldn’t locate my MP3 arm pouch anywhere (even before coming to KL) and have to slot MP3 onto my race belt and figure out how not to put pressure on the ears pieces through the bouncing etc. It was an experience juggling with the cables.

Going back to last year, at the early part of the race, I have KL Penguin- P6 Terrence to thanks for a short but memorable chat during this part. Unfortunately, this year he couldn’t make it. I read somewhere that he has personal health problem. My heart goes to Terrence and his family. Image hosting by Photobucket P6 has been a motivating factor for my running; though his blog, I have learn and pick up many great things that mind can overcome. Image hosting by Photobucket

It was a long run towards 5km, I don’t like the feeling as it seems ominously at the beginning of the race. Somewhere in the middle I overtook astrogirl. Astro have been not be in good health for a few weeks and seems to be struggling now. I hope she can make the cut(6hrs). She is one strong cookie, I am sure she can do it. I reached 5km on 31mins+, which is according to the pace I reckon.

5 to 10km

I scan around, trying to familiar the surrounding folks. These are going to be the folks I be running together for the entire 42km. At least some of them will be, the rest will drop off. By now, I do have familiar faces of mythos and jennifery running nearby. I keep looking at my HR to make sure I am not over running. I don’t know why I am doing this, I don’t normally do this. Maybe I feel that I am running at a faster pace? or i am having jitters? Image hosting by Photobucket

I saw a group of 3 ang moh ladies overtaking me slowly by the side. Well, most probably they are caught behind due to the slow start and are into their stride now. Suddenly one lady make a u-turn and head towards the side road, behind some obstacles. Before she reaches there, she try to squat and pull down her pant in a very smooth motion. It took me a while, before I realized that she is relieving herself in front of public. Image hosting by Photobucket

On another occasion, I saw one lady runner (I think a veteran thai runner) dashing out from dark bushes to join the run, which took me by surprised. I have rarely seem lady runner relieving in public, least say twice in a row. I know the feeling too….my turn will come later. Image hosting by Photobucket

As I ran pass the same spot that I relieve myself last year and the urge came back that I need to take a leak. Unfortunately the location is cornered off for construction and I just have to carry on. I reached 10km mark at 1:02+hrs. which has a portable toilet, mythos and jennifery went for it, while I overtook them and pressed on. I thought I won’t be seeing them again, but somehow we stick to each other for the next 10-15km.

10 – 15km

From this part onwards, there is this old Chinese gentleman(about 60 or even 70+) in yellow colour pacesetters T-shirt that overtook me. At the beginning around 1km mark, I overtook him and a silent admiration goes to him then, as he seems so FIT for his age, in my mind than, I know this old gentleman should be able to do a 4-5hrs marathon. He seems very strong and run a strong steady pace. In fact this motivating figure inspire me to “keep pace” with him (although a distance behind). Around 12km mark water point, I took a mineral water and put in a packet of salt tablet. It was a mess for me, as this is the first time I am doing this. Guess this is what I called “run/learn on the move”. I have a few mouth of “salty” water and I realized that I don’t want to throw away the water, as it contains the “salt”…saying lah…but I don’t want to carry on the extra weight. I am in a dilemma sia. Image hosting by Photobucket No choice, I just carry the bottle and run with it, I try to take a mouth of it every few hundreds meter to try and empty the load ASAP and keep myself dehydrated. I think I will think of how to deal with such conditions when the dust is settled.

I think i reached 15km around 1:36hr+ somewhow can’t remember for some reason.

15 to 21km

At this junction, I can only remembering running with the Chinese old man(in front), mythos and jeniffery somewhere nearer to the old gentleman(ah gong), while I maintain my position tuck snugly behind them about 20meter behind.

It is fun to see mythos playing with his “well shaken” 100 plus. Remember what he said, “I have used to it”. If you carry the entire 100 plus all this while and manage to take 1/3 less due to spillage that is not a good thing to do. Or is it that he keep topping up the 100 plus at the isotonic drinks sessions I wonder. Another strategy to ponder? Shall ask him next time. Image hosting by Photobucket

I started to develop blisters on my right toes (two) Image hosting by Photobucket and I managed to find a good location(near Indonesia embassy) bus stop to put on the plasters. I think it take at least 1 min at least, untying shoe lace, take out the sock, put the plasters and get everything up and running again. I have learned that no point pushing on despite the discomfort. So what i am slowed by a couple of mins, does it ready matter? Image hosting by Photobucket After this, I try to do abit of catch up with those folks, of course don’t want to overstrained myself during the process. Image hosting by Photobucket

I reached 21km at 2:17hrs+ which is the exact split I get from last year KL Marathon 05 Image hosting by Photobucket

21 to 25km

At this point as we head back to Dataran Merdaka, we met with the front runners of the 21km & 7km. I wonder will I meet some of our sgrunners? Well, I meet none of them, except some superfast runners for 21km and young runners (maybe 10year olds for 7km).

There are a fair bit of upslopes from this point and the start of running nearer to the city area, therefore more supportors. Wait, where are the supporters? Image hosting by Photobucket Where are the pom-pom gers? Aiyoh….none leh….last year at this time, there are a few cheerleaders around, along the water spray area. Alas, this time round, just a few cut boards(from Nike) and that’s it? Image hosting by Photobucket

I overtook mythos and jennifery for the final time along this stretched as I keep pace with ah gong.

I complete this session around 2:42hrs+

25 to 30km

The path to the end point seems abit far and yet so near. 42km runner have to make a detour near the end point out for another 15km before heading back to Dataran Merdeka again. Saw Kelly there taking photos…wonder did she took my photos or not? As I headed out, heard from the MC that the first lady runner finisher is crossing the finishing line. Image hosting by Photobucket I guess the elite men’s would have hit the massage table by now. Poor me, have to struggle onwards. Image hosting by Photobucket

I saw my Indian “friend” again. Image hosting by Photobucket I can’t failed to notice him on “long” runs. We have a brief chat, again he said “he is tried”. Wo pian always say like that. Only later that I realized he did Hong Kong Marathon 3 weeks back and going for “Sarawak” marathon 3 weeks later. This runner is an inspiration. Image hosting by Photobucket Looking at this body frame, must be pretty tough on him to put in so many miles under his belt. Image hosting by Photobucket

I took out my 2nd salt tablet along this stretch and grab a bottle at one water station; I am more cautious after the 1st experience. It does have some spillage, but lesser. I have to carry the bottle until the end of 30km mark before I abandon it.

Image hosting by Photobucket The sun is coming down hard now, as I slowly inches towards 30km. About 100 meters before the water point, Power Gel was distributed. I was given a cut-open chocolate favour. One of the mistakes I make during preparation for this event is that I left my power gel inside the office drawer Image hosting by Photobucket …. I recalled it during carbo loading dinner yesterday. Alas it is abit too late. Anyway, do I really need it? I don’t think so, 1 packet will do for me, although I would love to take along 1 more packet. Image hosting by Photobucket

I took the power gel with water and walked across the 30km (timing mat). I guess I am the only one that does so. The organiser suppose to called up the timing to all runners, refuse to acknowledge my presence. I reached at 3:16hrs+ Image hosting by Photobucket

30 to 35km

The fun begins after 30km. Image hosting by Photobucket The mind starts to wonder back to the training I had. Do I have enough mileage? Do I stay healthy enough? Am I going to hit the wall? Am i? So many questions? Image hosting by Photobucket

My knees are showing signs of wearing off. I tried to hold on abit longer, but the signs are not promising Image hosting by Photobucket , so I stopped by the road side sat on the floor, took out my shoes to put on the knee guards and carry on the runs about 1-2 mins later. I took a while to get the muscles “wam up”, since I am using other parts of the muscles from now onwards. This is not expected, even if the knees is good, i expected to put on the knee guards around 32-35km to save the knees.

Last year I started to walk during this stretch around 33km. The “heartbreak “climbs are awaiting me just round the corner. Image hosting by Photobucket How will I deal with it? Will i crash again? Image hosting by Photobucket

I was tired as I approached THE “hearbreak” slope. I can feel the strain in both calfs, It is telling I am going to cramp, sooner or later. Image hosting by Photobucket Not taking any chance I stop to put on my secret weapon(Yoko yoko). It took around 1 mins to have the effect; I was still wondering have Yokoyoko “shelf” date have expired when the effect don't kick in immediately? Since it have been used for a few years now.

An gong is going strong up the slope. If An gong can do it, so can i. I am going to break last year “break point” and pushed on Image hosting by Photobucket . I know a water point is on the top of the slope, I have to endure till the top, and there is no option. I was pretty glad that I have managed to reach there non stopped. Image hosting by Photobucket

I reach 35km mark on what time? I don’t really care and don’t bother. The distance is screwed. The organizer change the format from progressive increasing to count downwards and my mind just couldn’t think “logically” what those small “numbers” mean. Even though it has written in the handout that the last 10km it is going to “count down”, but I guess the mind isn’t thinking well. Image hosting by Photobucket

35 to 40km

What goes up will come down. That is what I feel. No matter how many slopes you climb, there will be a corresponding slope going downwards. After breaking through that psychological “heartbreak” hill, I was greeted with a slope downwards. I was running side by side with ah gong. I even draft behind him for a short period.

I feeling tired, but still feel strong as I pushed forward under the searing heat. I remember last year, I am doing my run/walk or walk/run. Image hosting by Photobucket This time round, I am still feeling good. I don’t dare to push the pace as I am scare of what could have happened during this stretch. I think I did run abit better, at least morally, when the guys and gers in front are falling back, while you are still pushing along.

To my surprised on this leg, I saw Commando on the opposite path(about 700 meters) in front. Poor Commando must be having some difficulties Image hosting by Photobucket , or else I couldn’t have met him at this late stage of the event. Finally reach the “sharp” turn whereby we are given the “pink” ribbon. I know that from there onwards, we are heading back to Dataran Merdaka. Image hosting by Photobucket

I was feeling ok and glad that my body is able to take it till now. In my mind, one of my objective is within reachable. That is to run non-stop in a Marathon. Okay, minus water break and “medical” breaks…this seem very much within reached. Image hosting by Photobucket

Along the highway, One veteran runner just pee in the open !!! Image hosting by Photobucket I was like har? Wei, please do it more discreet lah…in fact I have the urge to pee also leh…. Image hosting by Photobucket

What time I reach 40km? I don’t know, I don’t really care, except that I prayed for a “non-stop” finishing a marathon. Image hosting by Photobucket

40 to 42.195km

I crossed 40km feeling okay. I know by now, that I can definitely run “non-stop” in a marathon. I am going to do that Image hosting by Photobucket !!!! My morale was high and the “2nd” wind came back, I am running better and strong now. Image hosting by Photobucket I am looking good at this moment. I bypass Weishan at this moment, and urge her onwards. Image hosting by Photobucket She is a strong ger. She managed to keep up the pace till now.(of course I have not run with her before, do not know her background) Anyway, all sgrunners(ger) or those that dare to take part in Marathon, cannot be too bad.

I took out my mobile and SMS sweetheart that I am 2km away as planned. Later did I realized I SMS to her regular HP instead of her autoroam HP. Image hosting by Photobucket

As I head towards the end, I did some mental calculation, hey…I might just beat last year timing you know….hehe….i open up and stride forward. In fact, I can’t recall anybody overtook myself during the last 5km. It is only myself and the clock now. About 250 meters before the end, I saw sportventurer cheering us on by the road side. I overtook Commando on the finishing stretch and sprint off to the finish. I think this is my first and maybe only time overtaking Commando in any race. Lots of sgrunners are by the road side now, cheering myself on. Even Sotong ran and pace me for the last stretch. I crossed the finishing line on 4:34hrs:18 sec on the official time.

Immediately after the run, saw sweetheart at the side taking photos of myself. She is very good, even though I didn’t SMS her (theoretically), she knows what time I am coming back.

The End

I was feeling good at the end. Rest for a while by the side walk with DO, Dream, Freddy, Freedy’s wife & weishan. I went for massage(half body for RM$15) and was painful. My legs was okay, during massage it cramped twice….aiyoh…painful….lah…..Image hosting by Photobucket

Official Results: 10km: 1:01:50, 21km: 2:17:15, 30km: 3:16:30 42km: 4:34:18(gun time), realtime: 4:33:29

5 comments:

The DreamRunner said...

A good run Henry, and congrats on your running the marathon non-stop.

You are getting stronger with each marathon, and should be breaking PBs from now on.

Cheers!

penguin said...

wow...good job :D
like that how to be last man?

Renohtaram said...

i think u did really well in the KLIM :) keep it up!

David Tan said...

Just pop in to read your KL Marathon post so many days after the event!!!!... he he really interesting that we cross path each other many times during the run.. but must say that it is a good morale booster. Hope to be able to keep pace with you till the end the next run. It was also my first run that I am able to run non-stop..It feel so good!! ha ha.

kops21 said...

slow and steady...i should be able to do better.

Thanks everyone.