DaisypathNext Anniversary Ticker

Sunday, May 04, 2008

China IM 2008 - Haikou Hainan



Date: April 20, 2008
Distance: 3.8K swim \ 180K bike \ 42K run(2.4 mile swim \ 112 mile bike \ 26.2 mile run)
Prize Money: USD $50,000

Time: 7am - 12 midnight
Starting Point: Sheration Hotel Haikou

Why choose China IM?

1) I wasn't satisfied with my results in IMWA. I know I am capable of a much better timing.
2) Hainan island is my grandparents’ hometown; a pilgrim?
3) I can't do Langkawi due to Tokyo Marathon. Among Asian countries, only China IM is available. During that time, Japan IM hasn’t made known to the public whether they are hosting again this year.
4) China IM is a cheaper option.
5) The date looks nice on race calendar.

Pre Race Thoughts

I came to China IM with a mixture of feelings. I wasn’t excited about the event. I can feel the hype surrounding it, but I just can’t get myself excited after what have developed recently. Fitness has been declining at a steady rate. Will I still have it within myself to last the distance? For the first time after so many events I am worried that I won’t be able to make it back.

My strategy is to go slow and easy on the swim. Especially on the first lap, just go with the flow. Expect to finish about 1:40++. Bike wise, taking time see/look around, soak in the atmosphere. Take as much break (pee/stretch/makan) as possible and expect to complete in around 7hr. Once touch ground, shall do a slow jog that let HR stabilize at 120bpms. Expect to finish around 14-15hrs.

Pre Race

I woke up feeling feverish and sore throat, most probably due to catching a cold the day before! It is very unfortunate that this happens on race day. No matter what, the race has to go on.

Reached race site early, the sky is still dark. Pumped up the tires and got the system ready.

Checked in the bags and proceeded to hotel lobby to meet the rest. The usual preparations are carried out.

Weather was hot. Definitely more than 25 deg C. Everyone was in their wetsuit…no choice, just followed.

Reached the beach 15mins before the race and the race director was chasing everyone out of the water. Ignoring the loud burst, I still proceeded to take a dip…water was not very cold. I hope I don’t get dehydrated too much due to the wet suit. It is nice to be standing side by side with familiar faces chit-chatting before we jump into the water and start a journey whereby some take 8 hours, others going the full distance…17hrs.



Swim(3.8km)

The race started at 7am sharp with some colorful fireworks. I was still on land when the fireworks went off! Hehe…I was behind mah, not like others who squeezed and tried to gain a yard or so in front and get kicked/punched as a result of the mass start.

There are 4 buoys, and the circuit is 2 straight buoys turn right, 100 meters, turn right at 3rd buoy and fellow the 4th buoy back to shore for the first of the total 2 loops. From shore I can only see the nearest 2 buoys, the further 2, I have no idea where is it. Given the circumstance, I just follow the crowd(which I seldom do since I know they normally bring me astray!). Since I have no idea where it is, I just follow.

I start off slowly with breast stroke making my way towards the 1st buoy. I was feeling difficult to breathe. I do not know why I am feeling this way. I remember 2 days ago when I came over for a training swim, I have the same feeling! What am I scared of? Am I anxious? No, I am not! Is my HR acting funny again? I do not know. Something is not right!

I have to keep my head afloat and breathe while I stroke along for a few kicks before I attempt to keep my head into the water and swim. Slow and steady I got into the rhythm and proceeded forward. Next thing I knew, my right groin area started to ache while I kick. Sigh…have I over kicked? I don’t think so lah. The ache got worse as time passed.

Craig told us before the race that the water is drifting from right to left…but it didn’t seem that way as everyone was swimming towards the right. I didn’t realize until much later, that by following the crowd I was drifting to the right and crashing with the elite on the return path! It was chaotic and the helpers had no idea how to handle the swimmers! Damn it! This is frustrating, getting a bunch of safety surfers there and they do not know how to direct swimmers! I know I was at the wrong buoy due to following the crowd, and the front crowd was swimming against the directional flow. What is this! Aiyoh…headache…then most of them started to U-Turn back to shore! Should I ? After seeing Roger, Danny making U-Turn...hmm.... Double sigh….:( Aiyah…Ignorance is bliss! So I followed the crowd, turned towards the left buoy and subsequently headed back to shore :)

There was nothing i can do about it. If everyone was doing it, what is wrong with me doing the same thing? It was a long swim back. Touch the shore in 53mins. Super slow! By then the elite swimmers have completed their swim leg and i still have another loop!

Had a quick rinse and drink of water on the beach and together with SK went into the water.

This time round, i knew the route and headed straight towards the right buoy. Right hamstring continued to cause some distress. I just wonder how much damage have i caused? It is going to take a while to get it recover. :( Breathing is okay. Slow and steady, i keep telling myself, no need to rush, i will complete the swim. It was a long swim as it took me another 60 mins to complete 1.9km distance. The longest swim i ever had, be it in the pool or sea.

It was suppose to be a slow and relax swim, but i was surprised that i took so long to complete. Anyway i completed 1 portion of the event, which is most important.

Time: 1:53hr


T1

Pheck Leng was at the beach when I came up. She walked with me to the transition area. I felt tired naturally since this is my longest swim ever! It took a lot out of me! I find it difficult to breathe. I have to pull out the wet suit as I walk along and let air flow in. Get my Bike bag from the volunteer and proceed into the changing room.

I have to get the help of the volunteer to pull out the wet suit. I am tired. I can feel the energy level is dwindling! I changed to my bike attire and left T1 at 2:02hr.

Time: 2:02hr

Bike(180km)

Bike is 2 loops of 90km route. Mostly highway…a 10km section inside the villages…a bit hilly over there.

First, my bike speedometer wasn’t calibrated to this bike. So it is not that accurate, anyway I can ask around with people around my pace and I can make the adjustment mentally. The problem is that, there isn’t ONE!

I was the last handful that started the bike session. I started around 22km/hr, subsequently I was going at 17km. OMG! Is that true? I have to wait until 15km whereby there is a water point to check how long I have taken and make adjustment to the speedometer.

I was slow and those behind have started to catch up and overtake. Sigh. It seemed like I am stuck within this groove and couldn’t get myself out of it. Considered pushing, but thought that this isn’t anywhere near the end of the bike and there is a long way to go. No choice, but to go with the pace that I feel is most comfortable. Have to lower the gear from time to time and ended up with lowest gear! Damn it! What is happening! I am still on the highway!

It was 35mins when I reached 15km. My legs not working normally, feel pretty weak. Breathing wise is still okay. The pace is just PISSing slow! Is it the wind that’s so strong? Or is it the slope? Or is it that I am weakened by the cold? Or the massage yesterday? I do not know. Anyway, I have to deal with the situation on hand, no matter what.

Every 15km there is water point. At every stop, I will slow down, grab a bottle and finish off the previous bottle. Weather was hot; no idea how hot was that, so have to keep hydrating. I’d rather drink more than necessary. The organizer did a marvelous job in getting the water cold. Given the weather, anything cold is welcome with both hands. There is plenty of Gatorade and water available at each aid station.

The volunteers, school children + army + police personnel are plenty throughout the course. In fact, every few hundred metres, there is someone on the road. This is very good. Though some of them hide behind the tress or shade where ever they can find shelter. It can’t be blamed, the weather is damn hot.

Reach 30km in another 37mins. Sigh. It is going to be a long way to go. Legs are weak and it seems I just can’t get any faster. I am feeling drained. Have my fitness degraded until such an extent? Lot of questions, no answer. The thought of giving up and calling it a day have crept in. One of those days, where everything doesn’t work, it is time to throw in the towel and stay to “fight” on another day. But this is not a training session, it is THE IRONMAN. From then onwards, the race is not about timing, it is about how oneself go against mother nature. Putting the Human Survival Ability to the test. This I believe is what makes IRONMAN so special. Going beyond your comfort zone and pushing your body through torturing hours, what is left is just your attitude, determination to complete no matter how battered the body is.

From 30km to 60km. Pace continues to be slow, there are some descends and climbing on the highway. It was very nice to get a break on the descends. It allows time to rest the overwork thighs. Stand up and give the BUTT a break. I can feel abrasion on my ASS! Going to have a tough time in the bath later! *ouch*

It was nice to venture into the villages. A lot of folks and children come out to cheer us. The slopes are heading to a climax during this 10km route. There are a few climbs. I have to press hard on the handle bar and climb slowly. I am glad the bike is able to take my abuse during the climb. I have to thank Clifford for tightening the screws for me after I fix up the bike!

From the recce done a couple of days ago, the strategy is to push the bike up on the steepest slope. When I approached the slope, given my body condition, pushing the bike is to take a cautious approach. Hehe.. I came down and pushed the bike with 1 ang moh. It is an excellent move. 1st, give my legs a stretch, 2nd get to talk to someone, 3rd rest my thighs. It was a good chat with him. This is his first IM. He was tired, naturally like myself. I informed him, I am calling it a day when I reach Sheraton! He gamely replied he is going to take another loop of the 90km circuit. Wow, his kind of attitude reminds of the days when I was “ignorant” - just whack - kind of attitude no matter what happened, whereas when we are older, we tend to be scared of this and that and normally our “weaker” side takes charge. That few minutes of conversation shook me out of dreamland. Why am I having such negative thoughts?

Fortunately from 60-90km portion, the road tends to be downwards and I manage to pick up decent pace. Plus I started to overtake 1 or 2 stray bikers along the way; that gave me ammunition to squeal the negative thoughts of giving up. If these riders behind me (slower than me) are not giving up, what right do I have to give up given I am in a better position(though slightly). At least I must attempt, at least I owe myself to do just that.

When I cycled pass Sheraton to complete the first 90km in 3:40hr. I was like, OMG, there it goes my chance. I must be crazy!…there is no explanation why I subject myself to more abuse!

I haven’t been hydrating myself properly this morning. First I forgot to take my powergel at T1. 2nd I only have 2 museli bars, 2 pieces of jelly beans, 2 pieces of M&M peanuts chips and lots of water(Gatorade/water). When I reached the special needs aid station, I took the bag and found a shade and sat down by the road side. Since I am going to do another loop, I need to eat. The weather was super hot and I didn’t have any appetite for anything. But I have to eat. I don’t have a choice. I took out Peanut butter bread and start to munch. It was tough swallowing. I did some stretching while I took the break.

Soon I went off for my 2nd set, but before that manage to find a remote area whereby I took a toilet break.

From there onwards, there was only a handful of cyclists around. At this stage, whereby we are still nearby each other, it means we are similar in pace. So few of us, slowly pedal along. I tried to speak to a few of them. Hehe…

This particular Singapore lady (Hui Ling) deserves to be mentioned. I don’t know her. I saw her in Busselton and now in Haikou. She is fast in swim+run, but her bike is far slower than me. But she has the endurance. When I cycle pass her, I realize that she has music as company. I wonder where she hid the music, maybe on her arm pouch. Since music is not allowed, I assume should be somewhere easy to conceal and operate. Maybe next time, when I meet up with her, I should ask her. :)

Pace was as slow as the first set, nothing changes. The only difference is that I am more aware of what is in front and plan my strategy. I have a few cyclists as company and we move along steadily.

Since I have crossed 2nd round, mentality has changed. I no longer had negative thoughts of DNF, but how to keep moving and trying to survive the bike leg.

Arms are aching, thighs are burning, neck is in pain, fingers are numb (I have difficulties changing gear). Body got numb after a while and things can’t get worse and the body has gotten used to the pain. It isn’t that difficult after that. :p

I took another makan break after 40km into the 2nd loop. Stopped by the highway overhead bridge, taking peanut butter bread and water. A Japanese rider comes along and asks me to hold his bike while he takes a pee! What am I to say NO to a fellow participant?

Saw quite a number of victims on the road - burst tube, muscle cram. I keep praying that none of these happens to me! I slowed down and asked them if they assistance, but they just waved me on. Except for 1 ang moh, I told him I don’t have deep heat with me (not during the bike leg), but I don’t think he understood.

I was very glad to see the village once again. It means the peak is in front, after which is gliding back to Sheraton. The same difficulties await in the villages. The crowds have lessened but some remain strong and cheer us despite the hot weather. I pushed up the bike twice. I mistake one of the slopes as the steepest. Haha….ignorance is bliss!

Exiting the villages is pure delight. The only thing that I am concerned about at this moment is whether the bike can bring me safely to the end point. The bike is making strange noises while pedaling. The brakes make horrible sound when pressed. I still accidentally hit a few pot holes…I was like ouch….ouch…tee kong…pope!

It was a relief when I finally dismounted the bike unscattered. I took my time to get my bag and head into the changing room.

Bike time: 7:49hr

T2

My arms are numb. It took me some effort to change the shoe and pants. I was surprised to see that my thighs have rashes…I believe it is called heat rashes…some abrasions…on certain parts of the body. Ouch….The volunteer is very helpful…to get water for me…and of course to find my timing chip! I just couldn’t find it after taking it out to change my pants. I must be too tired.

I believe it took me around 10mins before I head out of T2. Saw Junior and Tina on the way out.

Time out: 10:15hr

Run(42.195km)

The run consists of 10.5km forward, 10.5km backward (Sheraton), 10.5km forward + another 10.5km to the end(no idea where, but there is a bridge somewhere).

I have 6:45hr to finish a marathon. I heard so many people telling me that they walk an entire marathon in less than 7hrs. Is it true? I guess it is time to put this theory to the test.

I wasn’t that particularly keen to run the marathon. I made up my mind before the event, that I shall keep my HR at 120 for the entire race, if it is at all possible. Anyway, given the body condition and slowness of the event so far, there is no need to run fast and get a decent timing. I just need to get myself safely back to the end in good health.

Running is the easiest leg of the event, because I know by then how much time is required to finish. Given my stamina, I could have easily finished the run much early; I chose not to and enjoyed the slow run.

The strategy is to walk 20 meters and jog 20 meters from start to end. Try to keep HR low and if it is too high, will walk longer distance to calm it down.

I started off walking for the first couple hundreds of meters before I start my slow jog and walk. It wasn’t that difficult, just require the discipline. I know I am pretty good at this and keep it going.

Slow and steady I managed to move slowly forward. It is really slow. I have to keep reminding myself of the objective. It is difficult to control when I am feeling good and can’t let myself GO on the run. I managed it very well I could say. I reached the first 10.5km in slightly short of 1:30hr, which is the intended timing.

Saw a lot of familiar faces along the route. We gave each other acknowledgement and high fives along the way.

Pheck Leng and the rest of the Missus setup an impromptu cheering team at 10.5km mark. It was nice to see her and the others. It felt good.


A bit demoralizing heading back to Sheraton. Darkness have fallen. At least the weather is cooler now. The park near the seaside is pretty nice with the colorful neon lights. Families are out by the seaside, some of them strolling along, others headed for barbecue. Life on the street is back to normal.

It took a long while, but I did make it back to Sheraton…a little short of another 1:30hr, on target. I took the special needs bag, found my peanut butter bread and water. I have to take the food on the move. Didn’t have much appetite but better take something in case run short of gas later. :)

Last lap, glad I am moving forward, leaving Sheraton for the last time! Saw Tina, Junior and Clifford going towards the Sheraton. Wish them well and see them at the finishing line.

Slow and steady I maintained the pace throughout the next 10.5km. It wasn’t tough, just awfully slow and long. I was feeling strong, no cramp, just a bit tiring due to the long hours. I was very glad when I crossed the 10.5km mat for the 2nd time. It was still slightly below 1:30hr.

It was a nice run from there onwards. At least the route is new and I know the ending is just somewhere near now. The garden that we ran into is very nice. Seems like a good place to jog.

Getting up the century bridge is another major milestone. The highest peak is 30meters. The bridge is on a highway that means it is fully lit. Pretty nice, windy, slopey kind of run. It didn’t affect me much as I was still feeling strong.

As I came down from the bridge, there were a few kilometers left. I decided to pick up the pace a bit. My target to maintain HR at 120bmps has been achieved for the bulk of the route. Running a little bit faster is not going hurt at this stage of the race. I just wanna finish the run and call it a day.

The run got longer before I took a walk break as it get nearer to the end point. The street is full of people. Some stare at you, other cheer you. I started to overtake quite a few folks along the way.

The streets seem to be going through some twists and turns, crossing a few junctions along the way. Special credit has to be given to the local traffic warden. The whole day they have been magnificent. Stopping the traffic and scolding those illegal motorists or jaywalkers and putting the participants as their top priority. Despite the hot weather during day time, they have been up to the mark all day long. Kudos!

Music got louder as I ran into the dark alley (sure or not this is the path to end point)! Crowd gathered at both side of the streets. Some enjoying their food, some just wonder what the hell is happening with these few crazy runners.

Within a flash of seconds, I managed to squeeze through the narrow pathway with supporters showing their support with high fives from both sides. Running up the small rainbow bridge, and appearing in front is…another 30 meters to the end point.

All the suffering, just for a moment of this. I took out my cap, lift my hands aloft. More of a sense of relieve rather than a sense of triumph when I crossed the finished line with many light flashes across.

16:10:38 hr, Han Keng Seow, you are an IRONMAN.



Aftermath

It has been a very tough day. Much tougher than anticipated. I have the admiration for those who finish this race, no matter how long it takes. IRONMAN is not about how fast you finish the race, it is about pushing the body across the finish line, no matter what it takes to reach there. Finishing is a victory in itself. For those brave that are strong enough to say NO more, have my admiration as well.

This might be my last Ironman. It could be my last race. I won’t know what will happen after this. Whatever it is, let fate lead me forward, as “it” has done over the last few years.

I have made many friends along the way. It will be very sad if this were to end so abruptly. No matter what, I hope I can still see you guys around from time to time.

Pictures here.


Pain is Temporary, Quitting is Forever.

No comments: