DaisypathNext Anniversary Ticker

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

New York Marathon - Report

It started a year ago around sept/oct after i read the book(Anything for a T-Shirt) by Fred Lebow. I was attracted to his book and get to know about NYC history. I followed NYC marathon 2005 closely. Shortly after i decided that i should take part in NYC marathon sometime in the future. Little did i know it come the year after, despite the strict qualification and the luck with lottery.

Preparation

Due to the timing of my various events, i did not have the luxury to train probable for it. Nevertheless, i have been keeping my fitness at a level which i believe will stand me good when the time arrived. Anyway, i am treating this as running cum holiday. I intend to run slowly, take pictures and immense myself in the carnival atmosphere. Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Pre Marathon

I arrived in New York on Wednesday evening after a 20hr flight. Did 2 runs prior to the event on Sunday and realised how cold the weather can be. Get myself equipped with more clothes and accessories to combat with the cold. The carbo loading Barilla dinner is pretty good and COLD, it is the first for me to attend the organiser carbo loading session. Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Marathon Day - Journey to the start

I have difficulties to have a good night sleep. I have never had this problem before for my previous Marathons. I finally got up at 5:30am. Get myself prepared and left the hotel at 6am. It was a good 20 mins walk to the central library in the cold. The last shuttle bus to start line at Staten Island is 6:30am. The intent is to take the last few buses to Staten Island as i do not wish to stay in the open cold weather for any longer than it is necessary.

When i reached central library i was shocked to see hugh crowd. It must be thousand of runners queuing up for the buses to Staten Island! Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting I was stuck in the queue for 40mins with many runners around. I am not disturb as any delay for me is a gain, i dread staying in the open in Staten Island. I was impressed with the way the organiser arrange the bus pickup. There is no panic, no pushing and shoving and the system move smoothly and bus loaded of runners is transfer in a well order mannered.

Reaching Staten Island

The bus journey took another 45mins to Staten Island. It was longer than anticipated. I do not know why, but the bus did stop at the expressway on a fair bit of time. I arrived at the start time around 8:30am. It was cold walking around the holding area. There are 3 holding areas and i am in Blue staging area. There are more than 10 thousands of runners in 1 holding area. All sort of runners from many countries are there. The queue for the coffee, tea, Poland Spring Natural Spring Water, Gatorade, bagels and portable toilets are long. Each queue took around 15-20mins. It is amazing seeing other runners preparing for the run. Most come in prepared-thick clothes, ground sheet, sleep bag and even thrash bag! It was an eye opening.

Prior to the start, there is a firework display by the Air force. How do watch fireworks in the morning? I heard sounds though. Maybe it is the place where i position that is why i can't see anything. I position at the corral where 4:30hr pace team reside.

The Start

At 10am, the gun goes off and the start of New York Marathon 2006 had begun on Staten Island.

It took me about 9mins to cross the starting point with cheering from both sides of the roads. It was a magnificent site to behold running onto Verrazano-Narrows bridge. Ants of runners in front and behind, helicopters flying high in the sky. It was a good start. Soon, a lot of male runners ran towards the side of the bridge and start to pee! Well, there is just something that doesn't change whether it is in Singapore, Malaysia or even US. If you have to go, you just have to do it!

It took my time and soak in the atmosphere with camera either in the pouch or on hand to snap any interesting sight. I was going at a good pace, trying to slow down whenever possible to conserve for the long road ahead. I started to feel warm and eventually hot with the gear i am in. I am worry about throwing the extra clothing as according to the weather forecast, it is going to get cold later. I find the taking out of the clothing is troublesome too, i guess i haven't run in the cold enough to know what is the most efficient way of disposing the clothes while maintaining the momentum. I was running with these dilemmas 3/4 of the race.

Brooklyn

After Staten Island, we headed into Brooklyn for the first 13 miles of the route. For the first 8 miles, the 3 colour corral groups are separated.

There are a lot of interesting sites on the run. This is my first official race in US, and everything is new to me. The band playing "live" by the side of the street or on the roof top. Church goes coming out to cheer the runners, residents of their respective town step up to encourage the participants. Good looking firemen(Hunk) and their RED hot fire engine blocking key junctions. It is like a big carnival that involved the entire New York! Accordingly to the official statistic there are 2.5 million spectators will be lining up along the route is not exaggerating, there are many of them coming out to show the support of runners. It was an awesome sight. I saw a runner in rhino running "gear" request to protect endangered animals. Sofa brought out from home to the street to sit comfortably and cheering. Runner doing jugging on the run! Infant out in the cold with their mum cheering. Friends, relative cheering their respective runners while passing their neighbour. Fruits, drinks, sweets, chewing gum and serve by the "non-official" supporter to all runners. It was incredible!

For the first 13 miles, i feel my running wasn't great, but doable. Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Heart rate was erratic, they are many factors which could are the contributing factors. The cold weather, the supportive crowd, excitement, the long/cold wait at the start, not enough sleep prior, over run in the tapering week(i did close to 70km on Marathon week!) etc. I can't run properly if heart rate is not stable. I did 10km in 1:03hr which is within range(although around the faster end of the spectrum). 20km completed in 2:11hr. The timing for first half of the run is decent.

Queens - Long Island

Accordingly to the official map, we should covered between 2-3 miles of Queen territory before heading out again. I couldn't recall much about running in Queens as it was a short distance, but i do remember the bridges crossing into Queens and out of Queens. It has gentle upslope, which suit me perfectly. I need to flex my other part of calf muscles to give it a well deserve workout and relieve other part of running muscles. Took me 2:47hr to reached 25km, making it 36mins split for the last 5km.

Manhattan

Crossing the long Queensboro Bridge onto Manhattan was a hugh morale booster with thousand of spectators lining on both sides the roads in Manhattan. Take a look at the pictures, there are hugh numbers of crowd cheering! I started to feel tired in this portion of the route. I guess my body isn't capable to take it anymore. The pace had slowed significantly. Completed 30km in 3:21hr. Took me 34mins for the last 5km.

The Bronx

We ran slightly more than 1 mile in Bronx. It seems the entire route is running on the highway! Most runners on the road were tired or have reached their "Wall". It takes a while to grit through the transition of energy usage from Glycogen to Fat burning, for those familiar with running long distance.

Manhattan (Halrem)

Heading back to Manhattan again. I have long adopted a run/walk strategy whenever i run into an energy crisis. I am pretty good at this given the fact that i hardly seem anyone overtaken or match my pace during the few Marathons that i have entered. I reached 35km in 4:01hr. I have covered the last 5km in 40mins.

Manhattan (Central Park)

The end was near when i had reached Central Park. It was still a long way to covered, but running outside of Central Park does have the impact on morally that you are closed. Reached 40km in 4:36hr. I had covered 5km in 35mins.

The Finishing

I DID IT. Crossed the finishing line on 4:50hr. Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting That is a good 14mins for 2.195km. It was not the fastest time i had did in Marathon. I have completed one of the Major Marathon if not the The Number 1 Marathon in the World.

The Long Road Back

It was another well mannered queue to return the transponder, pick up the baggage service. It froze me again when the body cools down from the run.

It was a long long queue on the road to the subway. I witness pocket of small confrontations between runners, ordinary folks with the police on safety issue forcing hundreds of runners queuing to cross the road. It was bloody cold for me to strangle there, can't moved forward or backward. I should have took the 25mins walk back to the hotel instead!

I reached hotel with the same attire i have stepped out 10-11 hours ago! Nothing feel good than a HOT bath!

I wonder

It is definitely an eye opening experience for me to be part of New York Marathon 06. A lot of valuable advice from various folks on the entire trip, from flight, accommodation, places of interested, general information of New York, running related matters etc. These come in very handy and appreciate your sharing. Till next time, another challenge ahead.

Note: Pictures of Marathon click here

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Geez, you must be the skinniest guy over there.

Anonymous said...

Sweetie, you look terrific

Anonymous said...

Congrats, What a phenomenle.

Anonymous said...

Another milestone pal! Congrats & ganbatte!

Unknown said...

Hey, Henry. Well done man - TP.

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Way to go! What an experience. Though I have to say you look quite funny all wrapped up like that. :) It's like, spot the cold Singaporean! Heehee. Well done. :)

Jamie Pang said...

fantastic adventure and superb photos. i'm planning to enter the '08 edition and if successful would greatly appreciate if you can share with me what to do and avoid if i'm successful.

i noticed you stayed in a hotel - was it expensive? what's the total cost that i should plan for if i plan to be there for 1 week?

please email me at runcarbomanrun@gmail.com. Thanks!