DaisypathNext Anniversary Ticker

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Vertical Marathon 2006




Finally it is time for Vertical Marathon. I was looking forward to the event when i started training for Mount Kinabalu Climbathon. I will like to know how much have i improved on previous timing. Sub 10 mins? Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

After Mount Kinabalu about 1.5months ago, i have not climb since then. I was concentrating on New York Marathon. Neglected the climb and swim at the same time. Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This week, i was exhausted. Most probably due to New York Marathon. Have a run with the Pacer group at NIE(previous) stadium on Tuesday evening. Did 4 sets of 2km in 6:30min/km pace. I was exhausted, even though the pace wasn't fast in any sense. I do not know why, i feel exhausted. The whole evening afterward was feeling from bad to worse. Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I was suppose to do 32km on Wednesday, but i didn't completed the entire distance. I did about 22-23km and decided i have enough. My body/lung have enough. I am tired to an extend i do not wish to push anymore given the condition. I do not wish to be overtrained and get myself injury in the process.

Given such circumstance, plus my wednesday climb at Toa Payoh of 3 sets of 40 stories(wanna do 4 sets), this climb i shall do it slow and steady up. I am not in a condition to push for a better result that last year. I'm just not train enough for this.

I was there at 8am(reporting time) with sweetheart. I saw quite a number of sgrunners and toofamily members there. It was a hot day, similiar to yesterday run. The weather was bad and i just want to be in shady or aircon places.

My details consists of heeshen, alvo and 136 that i know. We are in details 77. We started off pretty ok. 136 run off pretty "quick". We chit chating during the climb in the beginning, which is pretty refreshing as to lessen each other tension and slow everybody pace down abit. I managed to run abit until 8 storey before decided to quick steps the climb up before fatigue creep it. Last year i run up 30 storey before walking up the rest. I overtook 136 around 10 storey and Heeshen follow tightly behind me for the next 30 storey.

It started to overtake folks from other details around 6-8 storey. I was pretty surprised, as last year i started to overtake about 50-60 storey. The organiser have not done due diligent on the participants fitness. I even overtake ladies which are suppose to be at least 8-10 details infront. Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

It was a relax run, i wasn't panting too much and i quite enjoy the climb, given there are so many people to overtake. 1 particular indian was irritating that keep hogging the lane infront. Keep wanting to lead the pace infront which he is definitely not capable to last and slow me down a bit. I follow him about 5-6 storey until buay tahan and ask him to excuse me and surge forward. Can't keep the pace, automatic keep to the side and let faster climber to bypass then. Keep hogging the line and make people fustrated behind is bad.

I finished the climb in 11:15mins. Guess i haven't even warm up yet and the race already over. I would have did better given the freshness i feel at the top. Well another day ba.

I took quite a few pictures of the surronding on the top and some runners that i know of. I keep looking out for a photographer(ger) that was here last year and didn't see her and was dissapointed.

It was a good climb for me. I am better equip to do handle the rails and making use of it for the climb. I think from technically point, i am did good. Fitness wise, wasn't there to match the technique. Need to work on that next time i have another climb event.

I need higher climb challenge. Maybe Mount Fuji Race. Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

More pictures here

No comments: