DaisypathNext Anniversary Ticker

Sunday, December 31, 2006

MR 25 Ultra Marathon



Date: 31 Dec 06
Time: 7am - 7pm(12 hours)
Venue: MR(10.5km route)
Rule: Runner with the most rounds wins! Minimum 5 rounds for a certificate.
Weather: Excellent

It is the last run of 2006, what better way to finished it with a Ultra! Last year, i was injured and thus not able to take part and make myself the support base for Sgrunners. This time round, i am not going to miss this opportunity. Come rain, shine or thunderstorm, i am prepared for this. Forunately the weather was so kind to us this year.

The strategy for the Ultra Marathon

1. set 10.5km (Non-stop except for water point & emerge out of the jungle trail after 3.5km) - Run together
2. set 10.5km (Walk/Run) using xiao zhu definition of SLOPE/HUMP - Run together
3. set 10.5km (Walk/Run) using too kua definition of SLOPE/HUMP - Try to Run Together
4. set 10.5km (Walk/Run) using "whatever" definition of SLOPE/HUMP - OTOT (Jiak Kha-ki)5. set 10.5km (WALK/RUN/CRAWL). No definition left. Rolling down.... - cry together at theend.

Each round target 1:45hr - 2 hr (max)

Slept around midnight and have a hard time sleeping, since i have a nap in the afternoon. Woke up at 5:15am, and do the pre run ritual. Woke sweetheart up at 5:30am as need to pass her the car, as i won't need it for the the entire day. Reach MR at 6:30am, the sky was still dark. Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting But alot of runners have arrived.

The too-family have arrvied. Too kar, lao too, piglet, too buay, too tao, ms piggy, too kua are all there. blur pig, precious babi, I-M pig was spotted later.

Sgrunners have lots of folks running and providing support. Take a look at the picture later to see who are there. [Later ok].

Zhi Wei finaly make the appearance also. This shy runner, must coax out of his comfort zone.

Amid the chitchat, the race started! Wow piah, quicky join in the run with Zhi Wei follow closely behind. I have informed Zhi Wei to follow my pace for the first set, so that he can be brief on their terrain and control his pace. The rest of the too followed a short distance behind.

It was a large turnout today. About 200 runners i heard. The largest turnout ever! There is even a group of Thai runners joining the run. There is 1 white clothes veteran runner which is very interesting, he will clap at times to motivate himself. Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting We ran for 2-3 sets almost nearby each other. Subsequently i left him behind. When i leave MR later, he is still running for more round! Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

First set i ran all the way,except for water point. It was relax run especially when the body is fresh! I did 1:18hr with the rest of the too closely behind.

At the rest point(carpark) i took 1 banana, 1 cup of water, toilet visit and i went for the 2nd round.

Heeshen have shot infront then. Piglet and myself are wondering what this guy is doing! Running so strongly at this early stage. It tried to run non-stop for this round. Except for a couple of slopes(at strategic location), i manage to do that. Heeshen, Zhiwei, Francis and myself run pretty close to each other when we reached the car park. One interesting scene is when we(balasing and myself) saw a SAFRA runner, took out a cigarette when we hit a slope! Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting We are taking about tactical halt when we see this slope. This runner really make it come true. We almost laugh our hearts out. Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting I completed 2nd round in 1:14hr.

At the carpark, i took a powerbar, drink a mixture of Gatorade + Hydration Salt(which i mix yesterday evening). I wanna make sure i am fuel up sufficiently for the run ahead. Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting I took Heeshen's carkey and went ahead with the 3rd round. Well, i believe i should be able to come back earlier than heeshen and took his key first.

This round, i am running mostly by myself now. The rest of the too are nowhere to be seem. I walk most of the slope if i sense my body doesnt like the look of the slope! I overtook the beautiful chop chop(red colour) which i always see around East Coast. She seems to be having problem, as she slow down and keep stretching. I left her there, i thought she would have given up. When i left MR later, she just complete another run. I guess is her 6th round.

As i approach the same slope after Golf course, a vereran MR runner overtook and lead me a "shortcut" that is easier to run! Wow, any shortcut is a good motivation, which i greatly accept. Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting It is not a short cut lah, but a rather easier terrain to run! I finished the 3rd set in 1:16hr, feeling good. I am glad i can sustain this pace for 3 sets. I did some mental calculation that i can do sub 7hrs.

I took out a can of h20 to drench my thirst. I put on knee guard on the right knee as i am feeling the stress on it and need some relieve. Better be safe than sorry! Tiwazz recommend me to change to a new pair of socks since i am on it. I didnt think about it, as my shoe isn't wet. Thanks Tiwazz! It is an excellent choice! Heeshen still no where to be seem, so i pass the carkey to Tiwazz and instruct him to hold on to it so that anyone came back, can take out the stuff from the car boot.

I keep telling myself. The trick to run long distance, is to do count down. 2 more sets to GO! By now i had completed 30km+ and i need to run conservative and with care. I should finish in decent timing. I walk most(if not all) of the slope. My right calf start to feel the strains and might cramp up. I am confident it will hold up as i have never get cramp in my run event so far! I didnt bring my fuelbelt and therefore i didnt have my yoko yoko with me! Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting I need to remember this next time.

This is the 4th round, i am starting to get tired. I still feel strong i guess at this stage of the run. I have resort to run/walk. I have confident on my run/walk when the going get tough, is pretty good. In fact i managed to do 7mins/km pace in New York have given me confident that i should be able to do pretty decent, given the condition. I have a powergel at the first water point along the route. This water point a bit strange. There are 100plus and water available there. The water on the table is only cold water. 1 bottle of 100plus is on the table. If you want to drink 100plus, you have to pour it yourself! I drank 2 cups there, i don't care. I need isotonic drink to replenish the salt lost.

Slow and steady i managed to complete the 4th set in 1:26hr. Still within the 1:30hr i set for myself. At the carpark, i go straight to Sgrunners support point, took a slice of the watermelon and a can of h20. Some of the runners have complete 4 sets are resting there! I don't know why, i am not interested to rest for makan. I want to move on, complete the run ASAP and call it a day!

I set off for my 5th and final run. Offical timing is 5:28hr when i started off, which mean if i can do a 1:30hr round, i could go under sub 7hrs. I have a good fighting chance that i can make it. Since it is the last round, i can push a bit harder!

At current condition, i am prepare to walk anything that resemble a slope! I find myself can't run for long distance before stopping. Anyway, i don't really care now, i am in the last set and i just run what i wanna to! My right knee is hurting especially going down staircase! Shit! This is bad, i do not know what damages have i caused! Photobucket - Video and Image HostingRight calf still feel like cramping up! Inner thighs are feeling like clamping too! Forunately i am more comfortable shuffle my foot along and didn't open up and stride forward. I am struggling at this stage, but i also know, this will be finishing soon. I just bite it and move forward.

I took a MARS chocolate(mini) near Ranger station. I should have stop at Ranger station to wash down the chocolate, but i didn't. I have to spent some time clearing my throat with my saliva! I was running with Ronnie at this stage for some distance. He clamp up in the middle and i overtook him and finish infront. Ronnie manage to do another set, before i left MR!

Overook kelly(on her 4th set), Gentle and Teelee(U sure!) near the end! on the way to complete my maiden Ultra Marathon. I complete the set at 1:25hr.

Officail time: 6:54hr

It was a very good run for me. I completed the run feeling good and of course finish the run that i missed last year.

I am glad to see many first timers in Ultra this year. Give your a thumb up, YOU did it. You are a ULTRA MARATHONER. The person i most proud of, is Charlotte, despite only managed 21km official race so far, she has bypass the traditional 42k and complete an Ultra. This gutsy gal, deserve a tiger. Opps...nope...i owe her a Cornetto! Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photos here. (copy and paste from others camera, my camera was stuck inside the car boot Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting)

Lesson learned:

Bring Yoko Yoko along for long distance event.
Bring bathing equipment

1 comment:

Keipo said...

Tigger:

Congrate to your achievement !

C u next race !!