DaisypathNext Anniversary Ticker

Monday, December 31, 2007

MR Cross Country Marathon 2007

Date: 30 December 2007
Event: MR 25 Cross Country Marathon
Venue: Macritchie Reservoir
Time: 7am – 7pm(12 hours)
Distance: 10.5km per loop(at least 5 loops)


This is my 2nd Ultramarathon in MR. Based on previous statistic, I have not done a major event twice so far, and this is most probably my last run. I hope to make this run count!

Technically I do not feel as healthy for the run compare to last year, but I have better pace/endurance and more experience than last. Nagging injures keep coming back to haunt myself especially after the last event. In fact I have not clock more than 20km since then. I felt tired and easily chuan for no apparent reason. I hope I will do “decent” and clock 6 rounds(to prepare for sundown event) and if not at least 5 rounds if the body is not able to cope with the demand.

I was still working on my preparation at the carpark when the race started. Photobucket Didn’t even hear the gun went off!, anyway does not make much difference especially I am one of the leisure runner. I started the run a few minutes after the event had started.

To my surprise this morning, Bee and ST decided to tackle Ultra! Evangeline is doing her 21k transition to Ultra as well! Wow, the girl power is very strong! Photobucket

I started off slowly in anticipation of the distance yet to be cover later. Came out of the trail in 23mins+, feeling okay. Proceed with the slow run. I saw so many Sgrunners or familiar faces that I have lost count. I meet up with my Indian friend when I hit lornie road! Fist time I saw mohan at such early race! Normally it is near the end that I see him. This Indian friend is doing his 14th Marathons for 2007. Next week is Xiamen marathon! Photobucket

Reach carpark, took some slip of the hydrated salted water from the car boot and proceed with 2nd loop(Time out 1:15hr). Right on schedule.

Start of 2nd loop, can feel body is getting tired. Har? 2nd loop? Breathing is abit heavy for comfort. First my right kneecap start showing signs of stressed. Chiam see lah. A few minutes later behind left kneecap start to ache as well. Damn it! Soon heart rate went crazy! I felt like throwing out! In fact my saliva is pretty acidic( a symptom of imminent release!) It is Busselton deja vu once again! Photobucket

OMG, not even 1.5 loops and my knees are shouting SOS! Mind keep telling me to cut short the run. I couldn't’t believe this is happening! Photobucket What have happen to me? Getting so weak? With a bit of walk + run, I manage to "tong" till the end of 2nd loop. The weather was hot and I know I am dehydrating badly! This is very bad, have not felt so bad with water replenishment before at this early of the event. Took 1 bottle of h20, a bun and some dehydration salted water and move on towards my 3rd lap. Time out 2:31hr

I have to run/walk from the start of 3rd round. HR is erratic. Tried to run on the flat or downhill. Whenever I try to run, the pulse went high and I couldn't keep it at a consistence level. I wasn’t comfortable. I gave up on running and just walk. Hopefully after a long walk, the body will recover. It didn’t and has a struggling walk/run to complete the 3rd round. Sometime within this round, my right heel acted up. Photobucket It was like all the injuries from previous time came knocking on the door! It was very demoralizing. Thoughts of taking a easy way out crossed my minds a few times, but somehow without going to the extreme like breaking a leg, I think I can still walk and complete the distance.

It was a long loop this round(3rd). I sort of expect it, given my understanding of my body. 20-30km is typically my weakest period. My body will go through the transformation(from glycogen to fats burning). I was still dehydrated even though I have been taking more fluid during the water stations. After coming back from to the car park, I took a long break, taking water, have some snack and changed to another fresh pair of running shoe/sock. I was surprised I have a hard time trying to put on the sock! The feet must have swollen during the run. Took a water bottle(need to have own water supply) and off I went for the 4th round. Time out 4:14hr

The intention is to walk 1 round now. Somehow after the rest at the carpark , felt I have something inside the “tank” so decide to run/walk and see how it progress. I left Cheow and Deepcruiser behind as I started slow run/walk. I felt so much better than last round. Knee no longer showing signs of breaking down. Slow and steady, I leap and bounced forward. I was overtaken by Lai Chee, Sukaimi and a few more in this lap. I was still struggling along and walking up all the slopes. The aim is to complete 5 rounds and avoid getting seriously hurt. Overtook a few sgrunners along the way as they are on the 3rd loops. Seems like eternity, but do manage to finish the lap finally. Had a shock somewhere near the tower when I almost walked into a monitor lizard! Damn it! Wake me up from the slumberous “sleep”! Photobucket

Was looking forward for my peanut butter sandwich (lunch) provided by the tall guy, it is 12:30pm and he is nowhere to be seem! I wanted to test out the nutrient portion for longer distance event in the future and will like to try out the sandwich. Alas lunch truck has not arrived yet!

No choice but to take some light food and drink from the car and proceed towards the 5th loop. Time out 5:44hrs.

The first part of the run was going with Bee and Ronnie. They are doing their 4th lap. We leap frog each other along the way and provide some accompany. When it come to ultra distance event, accompany is very important. Anyway this is my last lap, just endure a bit more and I can closed the chapter for the year.
Photobucket
Something strange happen after the first water point. I do not know whether is it that I start to take the jelly bean or something else. The 2nd wind came back and I can do a pretty good speed with walk breaks all the way to the end! I lost count of how many people that I overtook. Many of them thought I am doing my 6th round from the way I run!

After 7:06hr, I finished my 5th loops. The thought of going for additional loops did cross my mind since I was feeling very strong. Given the injure concern; I don’t think it is worth the risk. I have a few events lining up one after another, staying clear of injuries is a top priority. There is a time to push and a time to pull back. This is not the time.

I was pretty disappointed with the result. Nevertheless given the circumstance, I could gladly trade it for a injure free run.

Quite a few sgrunners did extremely well. Not to mention names, they have crossed over their mental barrier which is a big step. Willing to step out and make it deserve a pat on the back. I am proud to be associate with them.

I do not know about next year(2008) Ultra event, since I should be doing goofy race in Disneyland 2009. Happy New Year everyone! Seeya in 2008!

Pictures here.

No comments: