DaisypathNext Anniversary Ticker

Thursday, January 21, 2010

New Balance Pacesetters 30km


New Balance Pacesetters 30km
Location: KL(Malaysia)
17th Jan 2010
Time: 5:30am

This is the 3rd time i came over to KL for this event. Though the sponsor have changed and location slightly shifted, but the slopes remain the SAME!

It is a tough run.I am fully aware of it. I am prepared for it. I am taking this as part of the milestone as i prepare for the big event in March. If i can't event take this, how will i fare in March? No matter what, the run will goes on.

It was 4:30am when we meet the rest at Petailing street and walk to the start point. Garmin battery flat on the way there(i didn't charge for a few days) and i left it in the bag deposit. Whatever come, come. Let fates show me the way.

The cutoff time is 3:30hr. Each 10km is 1:10hr. I should be able to handle 7min/km pace i feel. Let see if i can do it.

Nothing fanciful, the race starts. I started behind controlling my pace. As usual everyone surge forward or rather i keep getting overtaken at the beginning. In fact a few runners that i recognise(that are typically slower) have overtaken myself. I felt abit uncomfortable on the pace. Don't know if the engine has gone kaupult or the slopes are causing some discomfort at this early stage of the run.

Not able to tell if HR is higher or pace of the run is causing undue stress on myself as i slowly move onwards with caution.

Water points is 5km apart. Of course, can't take that as distance, but will do no matter what.

First water station is around 33mins. System seem to be holding okay. Nothing to be alarm of as the slopes seem very familiar. Still feeling strong. 2nd water point like 1:13hr. Still felt alright, hopefully the engine don't fails at me.

Saw a few familiar faces as they make U-turn way in front. I have a few runners that are running around the same pace which i can take as pacer. Seems like local runners, so should be alright.

15km reached. Can't recall what time reached, but i felt i am on 7min/km schedule. Cool. Slowing move forwards. I getting slightly concern as i don't know how the engine will holds. Will i falter....the confidence still weak :p

Overtook Tao around 18km. Saw her walking. Sigh. She seems so strong and going at good pace. She should be good to go under 3:30hr. I keep thinking of the scene in Tokyo 2008. At 18km compare to 38km(in Tokyo), she is not going to make it. :(

Reached 20km(water point) in 2:19hr. I am on target. I also know that the engine is going to slow down. I can feel in the body. From there onwards, instead of running all the way, i have to walk up the slope fast and run on the flat and glide down slope.

Little did i know, the slopes are getting steeper from there onwards or the body getting tired more. wahaha... Put on my Mp3, i have to put more effort to make up the time.

Saw Evangeline around 23km. She runs slow and steady, while i slowly crept up. When she takes a break around 26km, i overtook here. I didn't slow down for her as i have a target to reach, leaving her behind.

Have to resort to my trusted walk/run strategy from there onwards till the end. It was a good run from there onwards. I really wish i have my HRM with me to keep track of the pace/HR at this moment. It will do good for training log. Sigh.

Slow and steady reached the end in 3:26hr. Still feeling decent. I guess i could have done much faster. Anymore, coming in under 3:26hr is good enough for me. Cool.

It is nice to see more familiar and smiling faces in the bright daylight. Spent some time catching up and soak into the atmosphere.

A long walk back to Hotel.

Good break to be in KL. Now must focus on getting ready for March event.

No comments: