DaisypathNext Anniversary Ticker

Sunday, October 10, 2010

NorthFace 100k - Shortlegs N Tigger

Date: 09 October 2010
Event: The NorthFace 100k Duo.
Time: 0700am
Venue: Macritchie Reservoir
Distance: 50km

The idea started last year. It didn't materialise until a month or so before race day.

After going through the training and support for TNF 2009, it seems challenging enough to entice me to attempt it this year.

Last year, i need the rest. Thinking back, i think that is the right decision given my condition. There is a plan and was executed. At the end(at least for 2010), the body handle what i have set out to achieve. The most important, i completed the events within the official cutoff tiime.

Trail running is not as simple compare to running on the road. The challenges are more. Time commitment is higher. Injury and unforeseen circumstance are lurking. At the end, the feeling of crossing the line is definitely much sweeter.

After spending weeks on training for this event, it finally arrived. As the day drew closer, the anxiety grew. I don't like the feeling. If it is the excitement from the event, i would have enjoy it. It is the fear that i dread. Will my HR act up? Nobody knows! After spending so much time in training, this is the most fear. The X factor that is not within control.

I didn't have a good sleep the night before. Most probably is the fear on the cut off time at the first check point. It seems pretty tight. I can't really relax and enjoy the atmosphere. Damn.

I need to keep a 6.5km per hour pace for 5 hour. It is doable under normal circumstance. But you never know what gonna happen for in a long event.

I just keep telling myself to go easy and keep a level head in approaching all obstacles. Whatever going to happen, will happen. Just don't make thing worst.

The usual familiar faces gather before the race starts. Alot of chit chat and noises, before we are off on our individual journey. The race started off 7:01am according to my watch without much fanfare.

I was tempted to revisit the visitor toilet(again) as we ran past. Must be a case of anxiety. :p

A traffic jam was form on the northern trail, which is expected and i take the opportunity to walk here and there. Meet up with many familiar faces there. "Chocolate Cake" team just slightly in front and i can keep pace. My tag team partner is slightly further ahead and i have no intention to keep pace given the long route ahead. Just go at an easy effort as long as possible.

Reached Ranger station(distance 5km) and decide to take a toilet break. I really need to GO!

After the break, it seems that everyone else have double up the steps and move on. Slowly moving on at a steady HR. i move along, seeing Mohan and Bladerunner among others. As we approached RRR, disaster stuck. Fortunately i am not involved! Phew!

I saw some commotion in front, a lady runner(in pink) was on the groud with a few nearby runners beside her. Some folks are watching from the front. My first thought is that she might had a fall. Not to kapo, i just move on. Just as i reached about 10 meters from the same spot, a runner in front suddenly jumped and scream(OUCH)! A hornet stung him. As he reacted by going to the side, the hornet chase after him and stuck him again. That is when it dawn on me what had happened.

With some shouting from the folks in front urging the rest to quickly skip that location. I have to open up and dash away, leaving that poor "lamb" sacrifice for the rest. Selfishly, i left them behind and try not to look back. What can i do?

Saw David(Too Belly) slightly infront. Chat with him and he mentioned he was stung twice. I should be counting myself lucky that i didn't kena any.

Took the first water support at RRR at the entrance of durain loop. Walk and run conservatively. Saw some gungho people still cheonging up the slopes, whereas i take it easy.

Another water point at Bukit Timah visitor center(strange the support points are closely position).

Get into the MTB trail. It has been a long time since the last run on that route. Damn, how can i miss this route during training runs! Since i am familar with the ground, it is a relatively easy run inside until reaching Zhenghua.

First i saw Tao and Yankee by the side. They stopped in MTB trail which is not a good sign. At this point, my focus is to keep on moving at a steady effort and get to Mandai before 3hr. No time to waste chatting. Overtake Chocolate team and team up with my team mate again. 2 of us gang up and proceeds onwards.

Near Zheng Hua park entrance spotted Too Kia and Too Buay taking photos. Hehe...still feeling pretty strong until then. Took a few cup of drinks and ate 1 of my museli bar and quickly move on towards Mandai.

Lucky we are still early on the run, else sure cramped when we have to bend low to pass the fallen tree. Up and down abit, felt a bit tired at this moment. Knowing our own support point is just at the front is motivating to get there. As expected i arrived within 3 hours amid the cheering supporters - ST, Joanne, Ray, Regina, Aili(still in cast) and the young boy(from Safra).

I took a pee break and realise that i am seriously dehydrated! I was surprise that i have been taking slips of water constantly. I guess it is not enough from the look at things. I had barley water, orange juice, water and grapes. I hope i can stay longer, but i don't have the luxury of time and have to move on.

The real test start after stepping into Mandai IMO The unshelter terrain, the long and unfinished humps, the hot weather, the break point(20-30km portion) and cutoff time make the run here more challenging.

After topping up the waterbag, drank more waters at the official support point and off we head into Arsama. A new terrain awaits. I have slightly short of 2hours to do 11k. It is not impossible if we keep on moving.

The thing about having a tag team(if manage to run together), is the encouragement that come along with it. At certain portion of the run, you felt weak. You will need that push factor to keep you moving. Body fatigue has crept in. Calves and thighs are showing sign of cramping up.

I am feeling rather sluggish in Mandai. The slopes are endless. I just run whenever possible and slowly the 2 of us, together with some "stray" runners, manage to get to hill 265. The climb isn't that bad. I still manage to walk up without falling back. :p

Take another piece of museli bar and starting munching and only manage to finish half of it. Just couldn't stomach anymore. I don't know why.

It doesn't look familiar on hill 265. In fact, the entire mandai area look new to me. I take it as after 265 is the mid point inside Arsama. So we are half way through and on the way out! Looking at the Garmin. At least i know what is the distance and where i am standing. I am confidence we will make the 5hours cut.

The lack of water support station is rather disappointing IMO inside Mandai. They should have at least a water station near hill 265. They did have 1 mobile support, but could have been better position.

I remember hearing someone telling me, until you see the entrance gate into Arsama, you will keep seeing slopes. How true it is when we thought this is going to the last of the hump when another one appear out of nowhere! Actually it is not a bad thing about the incline, because i have a reason to walk + i get to run downslope!

Water bag ran out of water before i reached the entrance gate. Fortunately it is just abit more to go. We reached around 4:46hr at the support station.

After topping up the water bag. Drink and replenished ourself. I grab a powergel from the table and we left Arsama at 11:49am.

With the most difficult portion over. I know i have lots of time to complete the run. With renew enthusiasm we ran across the road to meet with dissapointment that the support crew have left! Not to be undone by the unexpected. I take the package of powergel and slowly moving on into Zhenghua, looking forward to our next support point in Chestnut Avenue.

Maybe the combination of events, as the clock ticks i am feeling much better. HR has even lower down, breathing is good and it seems like i hit a groove. Not to overdo it, going at a conservative effort, it is a rather relax run onwards.

The 35km marking is terrible. It is out by at least 3km based on my Garmin. I guess it demoralise quite a few folks along the way.

I was chatting with shortleg, that i always want to take a dip at the stream around the waterwork near chestnut, when we spotted one of the runner is lying inside getting himself cool down! Wow, cool!

Meet up with our 2 photographers again just before Terrence and Soong Ing at Chestnut. It is nice to have personnel support station. Took the "pink" hydrolite sng pow, drank and eat something.

After a few minutes of rest, push on together with Teelee. We walk, run and chit chat along.

Reached Zhenghua entrance support again. Chat with runalone and finally confirm my "neighbour" flip! Wow, it is really her! Saw her in Arsama just now, but couldn't be sure. She told she has retired like 2 years ago! Haven't catch up with her for so long! Finally get to meet up with her. Cool!

Top up water bag for the last time before moving on. Before that had a chat with Wee, which is on his 2nd loop.

We saw the 40km mark, which is on par with my Garmin. Meet up with other 50k duo folk along the pipeline. I was surprised. Some of the runners are definitely OFS(Out Of Shape!). Kudos to them to attempt this, but my guess they are not prepare for this event.

I was feeling pretty strong, but don't want to push it as wanna enjoy the run going into RRR. Had the last official pitt stop at RRR(Durain loop) and getting closer to end point.

We head into the MR with 7km left and 80mins to run if we have the intent to go under 8hrs. It is definitely doable.

I didn't realise when you are tired. The slight include towards Ranger station is so long! We took a long walk, before we arrived at Ranger station. Teelee urge us forward as he needs to walk from there. Feeling strong and good, two of us get into northern trail.

My team mate is too strong as she practically run up whatever slopes there are. I request she move forward without me as i am slowly her down.

I ran out of water for the 2nd time. Damn. The lips are dry and i starting to get a bit of headache. This is definitely not a good sign. I have to walk more than anticipated.

Again inside the trail, the route seems so long! But i know once out of it, i will be finishing soon.

Saw the earlier finishers waiting at MR toilet cheering us on, while i trying to sneak in a walk break. Hehe..kena chase by wei ming! No choice but to run part of the slope for the last time towards the end.

7:48hr later, i completed my first TNF.

Thanks to my team mate and the rest of the supporters, i have an enjoyable experience. Timing is what i have expected. Terrain and weather wise is all within expectation. The most important thing is that HR remain stable that allow me to enjoy.

If it doesn't kill, it is not tough enough.

No comments: