DaisypathNext Anniversary Ticker

Sunday, June 01, 2008

Sundown Marathon - First Night Run


Date: 31st May 2008
Time: Midnight
Distance: 42km

Venue: Changi Point
Additional Information: 84km start at 8:30pm

Pre race thoughts

I have signed up for 84km on last year SCSM race expo. How difficult can 84km be? Just a bit long IMO. I am used to endurance race and 84km is just another challenge. This will be a trial for me for something BIG in 2009. If I can manage to complete it within 10 hours, then I might stand a chance for that BIG event. It is not easy, but it should be within my reach. On a bad day, the worst I can do for a 42km won’t be slower than 5hrs. Even in Ironman, after a grueling day, I can’t go worst than 5hrs on the run. My chance looks good IMO. I have signed up for 84km on last year SCSM race expo.

As race day approaches, things start to fall apart instead of falling into place. Ironman China suppose to help me to built up the stamina for this event, have dwindle my confidence down the spiral staircase. I finished the Marathon leg slightly under 6hrs(Personal Worst!)

As much as i want to challenge the distance, my body condition has deteriorated so badly that even completing 42km will be a success itself. I couldn't believe, but to accept the fact that i am just not FIT enough. The feeling is horrible. I know i am going to struggle in 84km. But i am reluctant to skip this run, as this might be my LAST event. I won't be able to tell whether i can still run again! 3 weeks prior to the event, I downgrade to 42km and settle for completion. I am sure I can still able to do 42km with my current fitness. I wasn’t feeling that great going to the event. I wasn’t excited about the race. It just another marathon. A long night ahead(since the race start at midnight) knowing survival is on the menu. Humid evening. Race atmosphere wasn’t that great. Saw many familiar faces. Before the race started at midnight(for 42km), the front runners for 84km had completed their first loop.

Race

I started the run trying to maintain a good slow pace. Took the first walk break around 2-3km. Take it easy and try to last the distance as long as the body can take it.

I am not use to run so far behind, but it is a good experience nevertheless. I get to heard and see things that I normally won’t have the opportunity to witness. Folks struggling even at this stage, most probably due to lack of training.

I meet up with spiffy and have a good conversation with her. First time speaking to her. This lady, looks “dao” bcos she is always so focus until showing everyone a blank look. Thus making her unapproachable.

I know I am going to struggle even before finishing the coastal route. This doesn’t look good, but not unexpected.

Manage to catch up with Bee and Ronnie at ECP(carpark F2). There are more crowd at ECP at least it looks more lively.

Start to get overtaken by SGrunners doing 84km around the support point in ECP setup by Tiwazz and Charlotte. Have some food over there. Glad to see familiar faces. Although pace is slow, but HR is good, which is what I am gunning for.

Things go haywire once I reached C4 bridge that link between ECP to Marina Parade. Sigh. I immediately start to walk and calm myself down. To no avail even though I stroll for the next 2km. Since it is futile, I decide to slow jog a bit here and there while maintain a good walk.

I saw Bee struggling along with Ronnie. It must be pretty bad for her. She has been struggling with the thoughts of DNS for a couple of weeks leow, but still make it to the start line at the end. I went over to suan her abit and she suddenly become energies like the bunny advertisement. We leap frog each other for about another 10km+, it was fun both of us.

I stop at the 2nd Sgrunners support station. Took a 10mins break, rest and hope…but HR didn’t come down. No choice but to continue the journey,.

I was tired, HR go haywire, pace was slow. Nevertheless I am still moving along though with baby steps.

It starts to rain heavily when we reached Pasir Ris near the slope with mosque is. Meet up with more sgrunners there. Surprise to see Buay’s MH hiding in the bus stop waiting for the rain to stop! I was like har? Already wet leow still hide from the rain?

It was fun running in the heavy downpour. It stopped before we reach commando camp. Just a few km left from there onwards. Slow and steady I reached Changi Point.

About a few hundreds meter, saw ST. She is doing her maiden marathon! Cool.

We cross the finishing line together.

End

Time check: 6:46hr (another Personal Worst!)

After run

Given the circumstance, I am glad I complete the event in 1 piece. I have a scare, but I survive. I hope nothing serious will result from this run.

3hr+ of crazy HR is not something anyone will want to go through. I don't wish for another repeat.

It is going to be a long road ahead for recovery(if I ever recovered). Let see how things developed.

No comments: