DaisypathNext Anniversary Ticker

Friday, January 23, 2009

Goffy's Race and a Half Challenge

It started off a couple of years back. I am totally amaze by the finishing medals for Disney Marathons in Orlando(Florida).

I wanted to do the Disney race last year, but i was too late to register when i make up the mind, so no choice. This time round, i gather the troops way before hand and jump at the gun of "midnight" registration to make sure i get a slot!

Afrter much planning, we are off for a race of a magical moment.

Goffy's race consist of 21km on Saturday and 42km on Sunday. A back to back run...It was an concept. With my fitness(or rather lack of it), i am sure i can still make the timing.

Date: 10 Jan 2009
Time: 5:50am
Distance: 21km
Starting Point: Epcot
Weather: Cold - estimate 5-15 deg c throughout the run
Medal: Donald Duck Finisher Medal
Cut Off time: 3:30hr

It was a cold dark morning(too early to have sunlight) when the race started with fireworks and blessing from Micky, Minnie, Goffy and Donald. Cool.

I find myself warming up pretty fast for this run. Around 1km i feel shiok. I have to control my pace. At the beginning we ran always together, taking photos of every 1 mile and beautiful sights.

I felt strong and almost wanting to speed up, but i control. Knowing tomorrow will be another long run ahead, no point going faster for no apparent reason. Furthermore just wanna go slow and enjoy the atmosphere.

Manage to take some photos of Disney character along the way. Which was cool.

Ran with Divey in the middle of the race after caught up with her. Her race started 10mins earlier than mine. Not actually true, i deliberate stay back to start the run with the rest of the kaki today. No point going solo since not aiming for PB(with my condition PW more likely, not to mention about PB!)

We ran for a mile or so together and i have to push on as my legs feel abit strain and i want to end this run ASAP to give myself more rest time.

Catch up with a few folks from IRAS. Too Kar was there as well! Cool..another too member as well.

I was surprise to see her in Orlando(doing Goffy as well). This too kar, deserve a spank! Don't reply email!

Ran and chit chat with Too Kar for a couple of miles and have to push on as legs are getting fading fast.

Slow, but steady, completed the 21th km in 2:14hr.

Waited for the IRAS team to came back and take photos with the National Flag(borrow from Too Sim). Cool.

Photos of the event here.

Date: 10 Jan 2009
Time: 5:50am
Distance: 42km
Starting Point: Epcot
Weather: Cold - estimate 5-20 deg c throughout the run
Medal: Mickey Mouse Finisher Medal
Cut Off time: 7:00hr


As per yesterday, we are back at the starting line once again.

The legs are strained and felt tired before the event even started. This is the consequences for having lack of training in preparation of the event. Given the situation on hands, there is something i can and cannot afford to do. I know i can do it, only a matter of timing.

Shortly after the run start, the strains appear early. By the time i reached 21km, i have to resort to walk and run. It is going to be ugly.

This could be my last event before i going for my
retirement. I have to treasure whatever is "left" of it. Injury(sure will have later) or not, it doesn't really matter now. Will there be another one? I don't know. Whatever it is, let fate leads me.

Walk, Run, struggling along, taking pictures as well. In a snail pace, i manage to "crawl" to complete the event in 5:43:24hr

Photos FR for the event
here.


I have come a long way. I glad it ended as plan. Looking at the bright side, things could be much worst.

No comments: