DaisypathNext Anniversary Ticker

Saturday, April 03, 2010

Port Macquarie Ironman 2010 – Enver Medal

Port Macquarie Ironman 2010 – Enver Medal

Event: Port Macquarie Australia Ironman
Venue: Port Macquarie, New South Wales, Australia
Date: 28 March 2010
Distance: 3.8km Swim/180km Ride/42.2km Run


After China Ironman 2008, that most probably could be my last Ironman event. Having an unsuccessful operation shortly after China event and subsequently struggle not to get PW(personal worst) among that few events I have taken part. It has come a rather frustrating period for the past couple of years.

When you get injured, you want to get back at the shortest possible period. I signed up and DNS(Did Not Start) for an Ironman event. Mind is willing, body is weak. I have to rest for a long period or forget about another long distance event.

I took a rest about 11 months. To some this is short, but to myself it is very long. Mind is willing, but I have to force myself to control my emotion. I need a rest to go further.

I have to build up again slowly over in 2009. Taking part in few shorter events(PW most of them!) along the way. When the body condition is much stabilize, the plot to attempt another Ironman has been brewing behind the scene. After much discussion with my Blackie friend and with Enver participation in mind, Port Macquarie Ironman 2010 has been chosen as our attempt to be our 3rd time Ironman finisher.

Preparation for Port Macquarie isn’t much of a problem, as I can draw on the program for the group that is doing Langkawi event about a month earlier. Although on quite a few occasions I have to be out on my own 3am biking alone. It is something I have to do given i have different training preference compare to others. Hills are definitely form a major portion of my training plans.

Fitness has dropped a lot compare to the first Ironman event. Training intensity and time have reduced due to other commitment. I have to do what I can and hopefully enough to complete the event. I am not going to kid myself that this will be a breeze, it is going to be ugly and I have to grind it out on the course IF I am given a chance(HR don’t go North).

Arrival/Preparation in Port Macquarie

After I arrived in Port Macquarie, we had a run, bike and swim sessions to get the system ready.
The weather is good, just nice for a tan on mid 20’s. It will be ideal if it stay within 10’s but that is good enough for me.

Run workout is okay, have an understanding of the sloppy side of the run course. To and fro 7km to the left hand side of the event location is totally FLAT. To and fro 7km to the right hand side of the event location is full of people(along CBD area) and 2 small "speed humps" await. This should be well within my scope.

Bike is challenging. 3 loop of 60km. A to and fro 30km. First 10km is sloppy. It is challenging. 2nd 10km is FLAT. It should be fast, if no head wind! Last 10km start to get bumpy again, but not as bad as the first 10km. Our training bike ride only ends on first 10km. Phew, it is going to be challenging, hopefully, the other 20km is more decent.

Wetsuit swim along the bay. A 2 loop course. Calm water and some under current on certain part of the route. Should be a decent course, from the many I have gone through. The swim “demon” make a visit. I find it difficult to breath, a bit panic and feeling uncomfortable. I don’t know why I am feeling this. I am not afraid of water nor the depth of it. It is scary and something I don’t enjoy for the few times it happen.

My chest hurts. More like my heart hurts. Seems like it has been punched and bruise. Whenever you touch it, i feel the sight pain. I couldn’t sleep that well, maybe the timezone, maybe Enver disturbance. I am worry and maybe pre race anxiety.

It’s Show Time

Being the slow swimmer, I was given a yellow cap and line up at the last corral. It is a deep water start. It seems like the announcer just announced 3 more minutes to start, when the canon went off! There are still many swimmers on the shore! I was informed later, that many swimmers jumped the gun and the organizer decides to start the race promptly. The race begins.

I slowly breast stroke forward, trying to stay calm and relax while many swimmers just zoomed past me. Within a few minutes, again I have difficulties breathing and get a bit hyperventilating. I have to relax and swim even slower. Try to distract my mind from the task on hand. Looking around, it seems that a few swimmers are suffering the same as myself. Swim a few strokes, come up and thread waters for a while before continue again. Even then, they did distance further ahead from myself. I keep looking at the safety for the kayak as I swim past each one and look at their face and expression. I wonder are they thinking why this crazy swimmer using breast stroke in the race?

Slowly I recovered and swam leisurely and keep telling myself to have fate in my own ability. I did enough training and know my pace. I am going at training pace/effort and couldn’t go worst than in training. Before I completed the first loop of the course, I was lapped by the front swimmers. Well that isn’t too bad I tell myself. I gained confidence that I am not really way off my usual pace and I am feeling great. Just that the rest of the swimmers are just too fast.

It was breast stroke most of the way, but I have to alternate freestyle in the middle from time to time as in training. I know freestyle glide better through the water, especially in wetsuit, but I keep remind myself that I have to follow my training. Don’t be too clever, it is a long way to go…just being a boring person doing the mundane things in life and complete the swim before 2 hours. The cut off for the swim is 2:15hr. I have no ideal why it isn’t 2:20hr, as per norm.

On the 2nd loop back on the return portion, finally I get to see the pink kayaker(which follow the slowest swimmer) at the opposite direction. Phew, at least still have someone much slower than myself. Eventually I get out of the water in 1:31hr. Which is the same timing as what I did for Busselton. That is a good start and glad that 1/3 of the race has completed.

Transition T1

I walk up the shore, grab the bag and head into the tent. A helper immediately jumped onto myself and helps me to pull out my wetsuit. Thanks mate! I take my time, enjoy the experience and get out of the tent within 10mins.

The Long Ride

Amid many cheers along the town area, I get into the ride pretty fast. Trying to chase after shortleg and see if I can catches her down over the course. Seems that the speedo is not working again. Well, just kind of fate that it don’t work once again. Just have to go with the feeling which might be a good sign.

Saw all our supporters along the road(which we have marked out earlier) as I left the town. Enver is among them. Cool!

The first 10km is hilly(apart from the CBD area). I keep playing with the gears as I gone through slope up and down. Along Mathew Flinders, the elite is making their return(1st loop). Next 10km is mostly flat. Have to head down on aero and try to make up the time lost on the hilly portion. I keep looking for sign of wind direction, but it didn’t show any and without speedo, I have no ideal of the pace I am going. The last 10km should be considered as typical Aussie highway, but to me, it is up and down again non stopped. The slope is definitely not as steep as the 1st third of the route. The ass starts to hurt(Ouch!) and it will get bad from there onwards. It still has a long way to go! Reached the first U-turn at 1:12hr. Hmm…okay…let see how long does the first loop take to have a better feel overall on how much time is needed on the bike session.

Given my previous experience, 1 bottle of water for 30km is fine. It was kind of sharp turn and troublesome and I delayed the first bottle pick up till 40km. Gatorade couldn’t have taste so cool and refreshing! Alas, it is ½ to 2/3 fill up! After a few mouthfuls, it is like almost empty. Hmm… I have to rethink of the strategy.

The elite overtook shortly after 40km mark. Slowly goes onto aero position whenever possible and peddle forward. Back to Mathew Flinders again, amid the cheering of crowd on the steepest slope of the entire route, I manage to ride non-stop up. Phew!

Get back into town and spotted our supporter again lining up on the route is a good feeling. Finally complete the first loop in 2:30hr. Based on this timing, I should be looking at under 8hrs for the total 3 loops.

The contact len on the left eye, after a few irritating moments on the first loop decide to pop out at the town area. With so many people cheering you onwards, it is quite embarrassing to stop. So I continue on to find a quieter place to stop and make the adjustment. Shortly after passing by our supporter, on the climb up another slope, the bike chain came off. No choice but to stop the bike by roadside. Fix the contact len first before getting on with the bike. Paul and pheck leng came over to speak to me.

Seems like the thighs are showing sign of fatigue, which is a surprise to me given it is not even half way point and my training should be sufficient to tackle the course. Maybe nutrient has been poor and the body is reacting to it.

After the first drop of the chain, I keep finding changing the gear on the front seems difficult. The quads are showing bigger evident of cramping up! It is scary to think that I will be cramping up as I have never experience this bad situation before.

Given the small amount of water in each bottle, I have to pick up each bottle every 10km. I try to drink as much as possible, eat something periodically. Reached the u-turn point in 1:30hr. Wow, a 15mins different from first lap!

On the highway back, it finally dawn on me that heading back is against headwind. I can feel the wind blowing me and I have to go low to get any reasonable pace going. It seems like a super long and agony slow ride before I get out of the highway.

I am finished when I came into Mathew flinders. Ass is numb(no longer feeling the pain), the sensitive muscle behind both the ankles(Achilles tendon) are aching(this is bad) and the thighs are cramping up from time to time. When the steepest slope just appear straight in front, I will like to attempt to climb and see how much the body can take(very optimistic). As per on cue, the chain dropped again and I have to come down and fix it(blooper). Given I am on the incline on the steepest slope, it will be suicidal to even attempt to cycle up given current body condition and position. No choice but to push up and is embrassing.

There is 1 more person pushing up together with me, while the rest peddle up. The lady cyclist attempt to climb 2nd portion of Mathew Flinders shortly after pushing up the 1st portion. She fells. Seeing the scene develop in front of me, I decide to be prudent and push up the 2nd portion as well.

The chain came off another time while on the rolling hills into town. I don’t know if I am too aggressive with the gears or it just need a good service. The thighs have started to cramp on the ride. It is a mild cramp fortunately and I am still able to continue. Everytime I reached a step incline, just need to sit back and peddle up and pray that it didn’t erupt to a full blown cramp.

By the time I completed 2nd loop. Many cyclist already going into transition for their run. Time check for 2nd loop 3:03hr. Total bike time is 5:33hr.

Another 3 more hours to go for last loop? That means 8:30hr for bike time? Bike cut off time is 5pm(local time). Oh dear, I am running danger of getting cut off if i don’t do a 3hrs bike ride for the next loop! According to the race booklet(which is slightly different from Ironman rule), swim cutoff is 2:15hr, bike cut off time is 10:15hr, run cut off time is at 17:00hr.

For strange reason, the speedo starts to work again as I started the final loop. By then only a handful are left doing the same. I have to focus on the next rider infront and keep track of it and don’t let myself go further behind.

I know technically I have about 8mins more than 3 hours before 5pm. But I have to target myself for 3hours ride and leave some for buffer.

I try to maintain a steady pace and get lots of encouragement from fellow competitors on the road. I have not seem any of these from my previous events.

The pain and ache didn’t go away as I proceed with the last loop. Just trying to be positive and get a good 30km to the mid point. Recalling race forecast that the wind speed pick up to 20km/hr at 3pm. Maybe that is the reason for being slow, the wind progressively get stronger so need longer time to complete. When I reached the highway again, I just try to make use of the wind(or lack of it as i couldn't feel it!) and get as much leverage as possible. Speedo indicates 25-27km/hr.

I have not taken a toilet break during the bike so far. This is very bad. This is sign of body malfunction! There isn’t much portable loo along the road, and according to race book, you might get disqualify if you decide to take an unofficial pitt stop. I have to keep looking for quiet spot, but when I do, the officer(on motors) are always nearby. The chain drop again before I finally reached U-turn point. I am hovering around 20-21km/hr average. Time check 7hr. Getting another 1:30hr bike ride back is going to be tough.

I am getting discourage with the bike condition until I am constantly worry about bike chain coming off on the front side. It doesn’t help that the bike front only have 2 speed. Fixing it on the big chain, I might not get up the slope! On the smaller chain, I am going to loose speed. To be on the same side, I decide to go small chain and peddle harder.

Finally I get to a portable loo. I was surprise that the testicles are dumb. No feeling! Omg, this is the first time I ever experience this. The good thing is that I am still able to pee and it seems healthy enough.

Pace dropped to 12-16km/hr on the return highway. I am almost in tears as I ran short of time and the wind isn’t helping. As I keep on moving doing my job, I have to keep reminding myself I have to keep it moving no matter what happened. I need to get the finisher medal for Enver. If I get cutoff at the bike portion, then it is my fate. In life a lot of things cannot be favour on my side. Let nature takes its course, if it is meant to be.

Cheers from the supporters and volunteers really push me to hang it there though the body is really weak by then. Taking each water point(10km apart) as guide, I keep looking at the split. Finally completed the highway route just a few mins behind schedule.

Never been happier to see Mathew Flinders again! When I reach the famous slope, this time round, I just drop off and push it up. Don’t even need to consider about it. Fortunately not much crowd there as well.

It is getting too slow and I have to go for bigger chain to get the speed back. If the chain came off again, it will. Just need to be careful when and how I change the gears. Up and down the slopes for the final time as I get into town. By then 8:30hr on the bike is not possible, definitely within 5pm. It was a relieve as I reached the Bike In entrance at 8:33hr. Clock on the event stated 10:11hr.

It haven’t ever occur to myself that I will do 20k+/hr pace on the bike. I thought China Ironman is bad, this is even worst. I deliberately choose undulating terrains to train, but still fell way shorts in term for this event. I have to rethink of the training in the future.

I took 2 packets of powergel and 3 packets of muesli bar. Nutrients aren’t enough. I make the same mistake as in Desaru event. If it is troublesome to access the food, I won’t be bother to take it.

Heart rate remains good 120-130 range. I don’t know if HRM is slightly faulty, at least I am feeling good about it.

Transition T2

A helper offer assistance in the tent, I am okay. Took a couple cups of Gatorade and pick up a sandwich. I have to eat something and keep the energy up.

I took my time to change as I am aware I have lots of time on hand for the run. One thing good about having running background is that the easiest section is at the end and with the hours went by with body getting warily, the strongest runner normally wins the race. I will be in control of my destiny provide HR don’t go north.

I left the transition with 10:22hr on the clock done.

Marathon

I have 6:38hr to complete the marathon. 3 loops of 14km awaits.

The strategy is to keep a minimum of 10min/km and complete within 6:30hr.

I try to do running but soon realize that I am going too fast around 5:30min/km and have to force myself to stop and walk. Even walking I am going at sub 9min/km pace. This goes on for the first 7km.

The quads are tight, the calves are not really bad, the Achilles tendon on the right leg seems to be going worst. Just have to be careful how I move around.

Looking at the HR, the max I am getting is 120-130bpm. It is very good, but I have to be conservative and try not to bust the engine. After many hours on the road, things could happen in a blink of an eye.

The route is 3.5km out to the neighborhood area(flat route) and back to the race tents, then out for another 3.5km along the CBD area/coast area(hilly) and back at race site.

It get difficult not to run more as I get onto the next 7km, as many supporters line along the route in CBD area. It is pretty heart warming that they read your name from the tag and cheers you on. I started to get a good rhythm going from there onwards. Of course the couple of slopes, I walked up. This is not a time for heroic stuff.

I caught sight of shortleg as we cross each other path at the race site, meaning she is exactly 7km in front of myself. Time check 1:55hr on the run.

I was given 2 light sticks by the volunteer and was safety pin ON, so I look like a light tree! I still have a long way to go and the darkness is going to engulf me soon.

On the 2nd loop, the strategy is pretty much the same. Run/walk for short period of distance. The body is getting into good pace as I start to crawl back the lost time.

The supporters and volunteers are indeed great along the way. The crowd size dwindles as the nights grow deeper, but the enthusiasm didn’t. Try to make up the name on your BIB(with failing lights), the words of encouragement are great.

I am going to be an Ironman. The crowd chanted a few times along the way. It has no effect on me. I have been there and done it. This is not getting the intended response. This is sign for my last IM race? If this is my last, I will like to enjoy the experiences before it ends. This propelled to keep on running.

Met up with shortleg exactly at race site on the next 2 exchanges. Time check 1:50hr on the run for the 2nd loop.

The body got heated up and I am ready to let it ripe on the last lap. Even though I have just done 28km on the run, I am not feeling the typical tiredness around this period of the run. Just as I stride forward, I have an acute pain at Achilles tendon. This is BAD! I have to walk!

Shaking, stretching by the road side doesn’t help to alleviate the pain. I have to put on my trusted “yoko yoko”. I have to walk from there onwards. I know I have sufficient time to complete, even by walking the last loop. It is disappointing to say the least, just as the engine is fired up. I also knew that this thing happen and could be worst so shouldn’t complain much.

I have been monitoring the HR condition and it is getting a bit concern. It still hovers around sub 130bps. It is too good to be true. I have know my body well enough that this is not normal.

If fate wants to end my last event this way, I can’t stop it. Just walk fast, I should be able to make it. I walk for the next 2-2.5km and from time to time start to light shuffling of steps to get some running. Slowly it gets better and I can resume running again!

I saw one young aussie lady competitor sitting on the road side sulking. She is tried and wanted to quit. I told her not to and even walking will have sufficient time to bring her across the finishing line. She thanks me and kindly request that I go on without her, after I offer to go with her for the rest of the race. As I make the return trip, I have seemed her moving again which is good.

I thought shortleg would have finished the run when I cross over the race site again, but not to be since I took longer time for the past 7km. I did manage to cross her at the town area(500 meters away) for the final time.

Knowing I am going to complete another Ironman and maybe my last one put me on a high. I felt good. The only thing that keeps bothering me is how come the HR is low despite the effort i am putting in. Also i felt sore chest. I didn't have any heart pain experience today, but when i touch it now, it is pretty sore. This is scarely.

As i came back to the town area(for 1 final time), along the "walls of graffti", i saw that aussie lady again. She is going to make it! I am relief to see. I give her some encouragement and proceed forwards.

Just before I turn into the final stretch whereby the high beam spotlights came shining on the finisher. I met with my 2 valuable supporters – Sweetheart and Enver. I stopped, give them a hug and kiss before I take central stage.

5:33hr for the run. After 15 hours, 54 minutes and 4 seconds. Keng Seow Han, you are an Ironman.

*After thoughts*: I couldn't have complete the distance, without the supports/encouragements from friends and family members. To have a goal and deliver the result is something worth treasure. It is a stressful experience to do the Ironman. Many things could have gone wrong with dire consequences. I will need to find another good reason, if i am getting another Ironman finisher medal. Now, i have a medal that is meant for my Son - Enver.

*Medical update*: I develop Shingles(another form of chicken pox) while in Australia. The chest pains, migraine, rashes and body ache i experienced are caused by Shingles! Did it affect my performance? Maybe it does, it really doesn't matter now.

1 comment:

BFG said...

That's an amazing feat - to complete an Ironman with shingles!